A brief history
Like many things in the fashion industry, footwear dates back to ancient Egypt (around 1550 BC), they began making shoes from woven reeds and these were used primarily as ornaments and insignia of power.
Romans saw footwear and clothing as a sign of power and status in society, that’s why most Romans wore footwear while slaves and peasants remained barefoot.
Types of shoes
Through time, the shape of the shoes has evolved, thus creating new styles and types of shoes. At Lidia Talavera, we provide several of them, such as:
- Sandals: An open type of footwear. Consists of a sole held to the wearer’s foot by straps, and sometimes around the ankle. Sandals can also have a heel.
- Platform: These types of shoes have an obvious thick sole (usually about 1-4 in).
- Pump: Pumps are usually wider and between 2 and 3 inches in height. They’re typically low cut around the front, but the shape has varied through time.
- Scarpin: A type of closed footwear made with a single seam and a single sole.
- Peep toe: Usually pump shoes, in which there is an opening at the toe-box which allows the toes to show.
Other types of shoes we provide include:
- Open toe
- Ankle strap
- Ankle bootie
High heels are a type of shoe in which the heel, compared to the toes, is significantly higher off the ground, making the wearer appear taller.
There are different types of heels, the most common include:
- Stacked heel: Commonly known as block heels.
- Continental heel: High narrow shoe heel that is straight in front and curved in back, with square corners at the base.
- Setback heel: Similar to the continental heel, but the surface of the back of the heel is straight, forming a right angle.
- Cuban heel: Similar to the continental heel, but not curved, generally medium height.
- Pantaloon heel: The top lift part of the heel is spread out as it extends to the bottom part of the heel.
- Pinet heel: Straight and skinny.
- Annabelle: 7-cm platform heel.
- Stiletto: Tall, skinny heel.
- Wedges: These shoes have a sole that is much thicker at the back than at the front.
Where to buy the perfect shoes?
At Lidia Talavera, we are not only thinking of Women. We are also thinking about our LGBTQ+ community, crafting heels in both women’s and men’s sizes.
Check out our all-inclusive customizable line of heels, pumps, and belts, and choose your style… we dare you!
Putting your best foot forward, no matter the size.